Friday, February 24, 2006

Rib Tickling Funny – Well, Not So Much

Sad and pathetic as this may sound it really is true. I was walking through my house this past Sunday. As I entered the kitchen, I coughed and felt a terrible cracking sound toward the back of my right side. In great pain, I collapsed onto the floor where I remained for about ten minutes while I attempted to re-compose myself. I was in considerable pain throughout the day, generally brought on by movement of any kind – breathing included.

Monday I went to the doctor to determine what was wrong although I had a good idea. After poking and prodding followed by X-rays it was determine that I had cracked two and completely broken a third rib! Numbers 5, 6 and 7 respectively (this is not my X-ray). There isn’t really much they can do for a broken rib other than leave it alone. So, for the next six weeks I take it easy while trying to avoid coughing, sneezing, hiccupping or any other sudden movements.

“The quickest way to a man’s heart really is through his stomach, because then you don’t have to chop through that pesky rib cage” J. Jacques, Questionable Content webcomic, #478, 10-27-05.

No comments: