Monday, February 06, 2006

Finally, the first...

After considerable time and effort, mostly wasted, I have finally published my first blog entry. Not that this is any great achievement for mankind, nonetheless, it is an achievement for me. Then again, not much of one for me either.

What are mankind’s greatest achievements? Some might say eradicating Polio, others might say landing on the moon or the splitting of the atom. Chris Cope asserts that “The two greatest accomplishments of mankind are knitting and beer. Have you ever looked at a sweater? That is some seriously outside-the-box thinking right there. First of all, someone had to look at a sheep and think, 'Instead of eating that animal, I am going to shave it.' Then they took all those shavings and turned them into one really long piece of string, or yarn. That in itself is impressive, but they didn't stop there. Once they had all this yarn, they took it and knotted it all up in such a way that it became something for them to wear -- that's all a sweater is: one long piece of string tied up in knots. Then they made scarves and socks and blankets and tea cozies and little booties for infants. Beer is also a great accomplishment, and another example of inventive thinking. It's made of barley and hops, which, if you didn't know any better, look a lot like grass. That means that some bloke was walking through a field one day and thought to himself, 'What a beautiful field this is. I wish I could drink it.'"

So, anyway, after weeks and weeks of not doing the blog thing, entry number one is finally done.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I'll pick beer at the greater accomplishment of mankind...

Dave said...

GODDAMMIT, there should be an edit button... I'll pick beer AS the greater accomplishment of mankind...