Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cheer Like A Champion

Champion is defined as one who has beaten all other competitors. I like to think it goes one step farther. To me a champion is more than just a victor. champion should also set an example and always be gracious in both victory and defeat.

Cheer like a Champion. These words are printed above each entrance to the Oklahoma University football stadium seating area. After the way I have seen OU fans behave this past weekend, I must say I am a bit ashamed of my favorite college team. From the gloating over Oklahoma State University's Friday night loss which was all over Facebook, to all the trash talk from people out and about that evening. Perhaps I am asking to much from my champions.

The online whining from all the Sooner fans over there loss Saturday is even more disturbing. So much for being gracious in defeat. I didn't hear one bad thing from a single OSU fan, which I am except when they are playing OU). All I heard from them was “Well, we will try again next year.” Far more gracious if you asked me. No trash talking and support for their team at the same time.

No comments: