Thursday, March 23, 2006

V is for Tongue Twister

“This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.” -V


This past Monday David, Shimmy and I went to see V is for Vendetta. V is the latest offering from the Wachowski Brothers - who also brought us the Matrix Trilogy. V stars Hugo Weaving (The Matrix and The Lord of the Rings Trilogies as well as The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert) and Natalie Portman (Star Wars Episodes I – III and Cold Mountain).

I won’t go into the story line as it has been espoused ad nauseam elsewhere.

I haven’t read the graphic novel the story was based on so I can’t say how well they followed the original, but it was an entertaining movie! The pace of the movie was good – the few times the action slowed down, the story line stepped up to the plate. V is a bit more graphic (mainly blood) and contains slightly less action than the Matrix series. However, the story with its graphic novel background is stronger and better developed. The torture scenes with Evey and subsequent letters from Valerie are great and add a humanizing element to V. The destruction scenes are quite impressive as well.

All in all, a good movie! If you need to kill a few hours one evening, I highly recommend it.
Evey Hammond: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what. And what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey Hammond: I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I am not questioning your powers of observation. I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.”

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I have read the graphic novel, although it's been a long time ago, and I loved it. Not my favorite Alan Moore story, though. That would be Watchmen; one of the best novels I've read, graphic or otherwise. They've been trying to make it into a film for years, but keep hitting snags on the production side. I'm eager to see V for Vendetta. I'm trying for this weekend.