Monday, September 11, 2006

Reflections

As many of you know, my father has again started showing PSA levels in his blood. This is bad because about 8 years ago he had his prostate removed due to cancer. The only way he would now be showing PSA levels is if cancerous cells were left in his body and they have grown enough to once again emit detectable PSA levels. They are treating him with medication. I say this because it was my father, who in phone conversations over the last month or so has helped me to realize how important it is to be honest and open with the people in your life.

Last Friday night as I was driving home I was involved in a fairly bad accident. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt. However, as my car spun around on the highway during Friday rush hour traffic, I literally saw my life flash before my eyes. Later that night as I was trying to fall asleep, I further realized how right my dad was. How awful would it have been if something tragic had happened and there were things I needed to tell my friends and family but had neglected due to timing or fear.

So, with that said, there are many people to whom I need to express some things. Some people may not agree with what I have to say, some may. Some may not like what I have to say. However, it is for my own mental well being and because I care very dearly about this group of family members and friends that truly composes my real family that I am doing this. No matter what each one of you may think it is all said with love. Over the next few weeks I hope to wrap-up this self appointed task. Some of you I may talk with in person, others I may address in writing. Why some in writing? Some of the things I may have trouble verbalizing; some may have a timing issue of coordinating private time; some may be the issue of fear or it could be a combination of any of these issues.

I have an incredible group of people around me, and I am very lucky to have you all as part of my life.

No comments: